Re: Europa-List: Fuel tank question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel tank question
From: Jan de Jong <jandejong@casema.nl>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 01:55:21

Andrew,

What I did.
1. make a cradle of 2, locally 3 bid:
http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=89148
The idea is: good support without local bonding / deformation stresses
Put in the cradle / tank combination as the manual describes for the
bare tank:
http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=89319
No glues / epoxies on the tank.
The treated tank (forgot which gas exactly) swells less, but now bonds
well to epoxies, making the unmodified original way of installing unwise.
2. put in lock-up EPP strips before putting the cradle / tank
combination in:
http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=89154
http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=89398
The idea is: minimize motion.
3. after bonding de cockpit into the canoe fill the space between cradle
and canoe with 2-component reasonably heavy polyurethane foam through
the fuel outlet access holes (calibrate the action beforehand to avoid
the tunnel and the exposed outboard tank surfaces)
This makes a port sandwich and a starboard sandwich - my version (Ron
Parigoris' rather) of Bud's cork.
The idea is: make the stresses still more distributed and the whole
installation stronger.

Jan de Jong
I have been on the verge of putting the top on for a while.