Europa-List: Re: wing lift/drag pins

Subject: Europa-List: Re: wing lift/drag pins
From: Alan Carter <alancarteresq@onetel.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 15:53:44

Hi Ron.
Glad you are interested.
If you read the topic from the beginning it  imply,s that the sole purpose of
this
bar was to prevent the wings from being pulled forward all the time during
flight.
I,m getting to old for all of this, but as an instructor many years ago i use to
draw all the forces on the blackboard,and i never drew a wing vector added to
the thrust vector,
So got me thinking why, and i slowly began to come round to thinking there may
be some forward component but not occurring in normal flight.
The tie bar came in with the weight increase mod, with the bigger spar pins, the
swivelling rear fuselage pin socket and the tie strap on the spar.

Then when we had the in flight break up the tie bar became a mandatory mod for
all Europa's with the extra long rear wing pins with big washer and nut inside
the wing root.

I think its purpose is as i have stated, and re enforces the whole structure
around
the wing and mounting points, and i believe this weak spot was part of the
break up,
May not have been the initial cause, that may well have been something to do
with
the Stabalator.

I may be wrong, I have never built an aeroplane, and im just a simple country
boy,with
a pair of eye,s, but do have the right to post my opinion,

I am polite, never make fun of, or discourage any member from posting, and
always
willing to listen to another point of view, I am just interested in this
particulate
topic, and will look forward to your posting, sorry i can,t give you
the information you requested,
I just fly the plane.

Regards.
Alan