Re: Europa-List: Re: wing lift/drag pins

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: wing lift/drag pins
From: houlihan <houlihan@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 08:55:40
Hi Alan.

A few comments,
1, wings that have been demonstrated to fly OK for many thousands of hours
do not usualy fail in normal flight , it should only happen in extreme
circumstances so forget about your 1 "G" straight and level situation.

2, your comments about the WW2 bomber do not demonstrate failure due to
aerodynamic loading., During the bomb release phase of flight it would be
in 1"G" straight and level flight. the failure occurred because the
fuselage holding the wings apart was removed allowing them to react as you
describe.

3, there are lots of things in life I do not understand like high energy
physics and brain surgery but when people who know about these things try
and explain to me I try to listen and learn. you seem to have rejected all
the explanations put forward by knowledgeable contributors to this forum.
So when you find the answer from other sources  please let us know the
outcome so that we can all learn something.

4, If a Cessna 150 was over stressed in a high "G" maneuver to the extent
that the mainplanes failed they would also fold forwards and upwards
probably outboard of the struts..

Tim