Re: Europa-List: Re: wing lift/drag pins

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: wing lift/drag pins
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 00:19:41
Alan=0Athe thing to remember is that sometime you will hit a sharp edge gus
t which will cause Hi AoA and=0Aif you don't have provision for that load,
ie pip pins through the rear lift pins your wings will clap, forwards.=0AIt
 happened to a glider at high speed once over Europe, one of the early hot
ships. The pilot couldn't understand why the wings were in front of him whe
n they came off! Lots of the rest of us didn't understand for a while eithe
r. VECTORS!=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0A From: Alan
 Carter <alancarteresq@onetel.net>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent:
 Monday, 1 July 2013, 0:10=0ASubject: Europa-List: Re: wing lift/drag pins
netel.net>=0A=0AHello Graham and Kingsley.=0AWell thank you both very much,
 Indeed the diagrams show a forward component, and it says the wings pull f
orward, and indeed the bracket has a pin through it which one would associa
te with pulling forward maybe.- , But i am still not convinced wish i was
.=0AI guess you are all probably right , but i see the possibility of a for
ward =0Apull at high angles of attack , but in normal flight i see the a ba
ckward=0Acomponent , this being most of the time in normal flight, so you h
ave both forward and backward movements of the wing.=0ABut i think you are
looking at the lift envelope, so i still think the Total=0Aof all the compo
nents is backward, Stall turn or Tail slip the =0Aexceptions.=0A=0AI have t
his. It mentions Tensile, But it dose not really state the normal condition
 of this bar, well not to me,=0AThis modification introduces a new wing rea
r-attachment pin with a longer threaded portion and a=0ANyloc nut and load
spreading washer added behind the inboard flap hinge-plate to react the ten
sile=0Aload in the pin and so increase the tolerance to incorrectly constru
cted hard points. In addition,=0Aa tie-bar is incorporated to efficiently r
eact tensile loads between the wing rear attachments. The=0Atie-bar forms p
art of optional Mod 52, however, unless all the other features of Mod 52 ar
e installed, =0Ano increase in maximum gross weight will be permitted.=0A
=0AI asked a friend who was head of physics he said the same as me.=0ABut W
e could both be wrong, At the moment my thoughts are mostly backwards but o
n High AA possible forward, but i am not sure.=0AI will follow this up and
try to write to somebody Aerodynamics.=0AAs i am really interested now. May
be i will start with Europa them self, this is going to take me some time.
=0ABut i need to satisfy myself that my understanding is maybe wrong??.=0A
- =0A=0ARegards.=0AAlan=0A=0A=0A=0A=0ARead this topic online here:=0A=0Ah
ttp://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=403661#403661=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A