RE: Europa-List: Fuel tank sensor opening problem

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Fuel tank sensor opening problem
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 16:05:20
Hi! Fred

My oval hole cut in the tank top is protected by the plate internally and a
silicone seal round the edges  and I have had no problems of the swelling
kind except I had a leak once from the pressure "head" by leaving a column
of fuel right up the "cobra" filler over night . Better attention to the
silicone casket and more intelligent filling seem to have prevented a
repeat.  No one advised me to ensure that the cut edge should be kept free
---From fuel contact.  However early tanks had to have fuel stored and so be
encouraged to " swell" prior to installation into the fuselage/cockpit
module over a period of many weeks restrained by a strong frame surrounding
it.  So movement can be expected but by arranging suitable clamps and tight
fixings I would have thought would restrain the swelling anyway.  My Kit No
is 337 but I know that a number of builders have suffered split tanks .  I
believe likely caused by letting the tank dry out after the impregnation by
fuel . Keep fuel in and such swelling stays stable. (I think !)

Regards to all in strife !

Bob Harrison. G-PTAG