Re: Europa-List: Fuel tank sensor opening problem

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel tank sensor opening problem
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 16:43:32

On 07/01/2013 04:29 PM, Fred Klein wrote:

> If I recall correctly, the installation included an internal flange
> plate which I now surmise should prevent fuel contacting the cut
> edge...much appreciation if anyone can confirm this.

I did not have the internal flange. I just riveted 5 anchor nuts to the
tank and assumed this would be plenty for such a small surface.
Well, it is not. I now have made an internal flange myself and hope that
with the tank wall locked in between the sensor cap and internal flange
that it won't leak anymore. Still the fuel can access the cut line but
as this has already happened I'm not sure whether it makes sense to seal
it now. Also, you need 5 holes through the tank wall to attach the whole
thing, making it even harder to achieve a leak free fit.
So, I will leave it as is and if it doesn't leak anymore I'm happy with it.

Frans