Re: Europa-List: Powerflarm

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Powerflarm
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:45:38

One minor cautionary tale about Powerflarm type systems.
Yesterday I had the excitement/privilege of flying over
Central London 9 times at around 900ft passing close to
and below(!!) the Shard, the Olympic stadium, etc on a
NE/SW course turning at LAM and OCK. The plane was G-ENVR
belonging to the Natural Environment Research Council and
housed in my hangar. It was stuffed full of scientific kit
to measure various pollutants, but also has very
sophisticated avionics which make a big fuss when we got
too close to the scenery or any other transponder equipped
plane got anywhere near us ( and there were police and
medical helicopters all over the place quite apart from
multiple aircraft climbing out of London City airport).
Our turning point at LAM meant that we were more or less
running down the active runway at Stapleford and on the
third time around they had an unpleasant surprise when a
small plane taking off almost had us from below without
setting off any alarm!
            The message is that it is possibly too easy to
come to rely on a system covering less than 100% and
forget the common sense means of avoiding collisions.
         Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ