Europa-List: Powerflarm

Subject: Europa-List: Powerflarm
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 12:25:43

On 06/25/2013 03:38 AM, Kevin Kedward wrote:

> Ps, Go buy Powerflarm so you don't crash into me or fall on me because you ran
out of fuel. Kevin the safe one.

Why would you go so dangerously close to other aircraft that you need
Powerflarm to avoid hitting them?

Seriously, this is exactly what I'm planning to do (buying the
Powerflarm, not the "running out of fuel" part).

On the North cape trip I saw some other pilots using an iPad mini with
SkyDemon, and I liked it so much that I also bought an iPad and SkyDemon
subscription.
With no Apple experience I made the mistake to buy the "wifi-only" iPad
model, assuming that I could use some remote bluetooth GPS antenna, or
even the GPS inside my Android phone as a starter, later to find out
that Apple simply sabotaged the possibility to use a generic external GPS.

At the same time I had PowerFlarm high on my wish list. I already have a
transponder-detector but I regularly fly in the Alps where there are
many gliders and no radar coverage. And Powerflarm detects everything,
mode-C, mode-S, ADS-B and Flarm. So I was very pleased to receive a new
version of SkyDemon with Powerflarm support built in.
It seems to support input with the Butterfly connect device, which
communicates between the Powerflarm and Ipad via wifi.

To avoid another buying mistake, I would like to hear if people have
experience with such a combination.
My intention is to buy the Garrecht TRX-1500, the Butterfly connect, and
have the information om my audio interface and Ipad running SkyDemon. If
this works well I don't need to have a dedicated powerflarm(-alike)
display in my panel. And I don't need yet another GPS-antenna just for
the iPad.

Just a few questions:
1) It looks like the Garrecht TRX-1500 is the same as Powerflarm, but
just a tad more optimised for use in powered aircraft than for gliders.
Is there a reason to use Butterfly instead of Garrecht?
2) It looks like the Butterfly connect broadcasts not only traffic info
but also GPS info. Neither party (not even SkyDemon) is willing to
testify that I can use it to get SkyDemon working on the Ipad-wifi, but
they suggest "it should be" and that SkyDemon will use the broadcasted
GPS info (without Apple knowing that I violate their ban on receiving
GPS-info on my No-GPS model).
3) How usable is the traffic info displayed via the SkyDemon? I have not
seen pictures of it, what is actually displayed when there is
conflicting traffic, but I like the idea to be able to see other
aircraft positioned on the moving map.

Thanks in advance for any wise words on this.

Frans