Re: Europa-List: Powerflarm

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Powerflarm
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:25:39

On 06/25/2013 01:01 PM, David Watts wrote:
> <dg.watts@talktalk.net>
>
> Skydemon had the Powerflarm connected to an iPad through a Butterfly
> Connect and displaying on a large TV screen at Aero Expo and very
> impressive it was too, showing all the aircraft in the vicinity that
> were transponding.

Ok, that sounds cool!

> I came straight home and bought a Butterfly
> Connect.

Have you tried switching off the internal GPS, bad elf, or other sources
and see whether the SkyDemon actually uses the GPS info from the Powerflarm?

> As to the GPS signal I personally think the best option for a wifi
> iPad is the plug in Bad Elf which gets its power from the iPad

I don't like this option because it means more wires, and all the
GPS-antenna's want to be placed at the best position but half a meter
away from other GPS antenna's, and since I'm operating an Europa and not
a 747 it becomes complicated to place all these antenna's according to
the manufacturers recommendations.
So I really hope that the iPad can get all its information out of the
wifi signal.

> As for the Garrecht I have no experience other than what I have
> read.

It is a brick with no display but just a bunch of antenna's, it seems to
produce exactly the same information as the powerflarm and interfaces
with all the displays, connects and other gadgets. I think I will mount
it behind the D-panel where it has the least interference from
engine/instrument panel and the best overall view of the sky. And since
it broadcasts its information via wifi I only need to provide power to
it (and run the audio cable to the headset plugs).

Thanks,
Frans