Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp or Airmaster Prop

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp or Airmaster Prop
From: rampil <ira.rampil@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 13:38:09

Just for the sake of another data point I will add my two cents.
I have been flying with my Airmaster constant speed prop for close to nine
years.
Early in its life the prop spinner cracked, twice, and I TIG repaired it twice,

then Martin revised the spinner and there have been no further issues. I keep
up with the suggested maintenance.  I see no advantave to the Woodcomp
alternative. The "extra" twist for enhancement of cowl port airflow is not a
factor in a 912s application.

As for performance quotations, I think they are pretty meaningless without
data on weight, density altitude, manifold pressure, RPM, etc.

In my aircraft, at a DA of 3000', GW of 1200#, and 70% power I see a reliable
118kts TAS with about 4.1 gph. In its current configuration, I don't have enough
data points to state a performance at 8000' which is possibly where best TAS
might be for the 912s.

Your mile will vary!
Cheers,

Ira