Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp or Airmaster Prop

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp or Airmaster Prop
From: ploucandco <jacques@platisource.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 02:39:57

Hello Jerry,

I have had an airmaster and a woodcomp high twist on my monowheel europa. Both
were 3 blades props.

I believe that both are good props but I am happy to have my airmaster back now.

If you are using the woodcomp, the smartavionics controller is the preferred
option.

Airmaster
+ hub quality and robustness
+ very nice metal spinner
+ controller straigthforward to use
+ no maintenance solution (except for the brushes)
+ support, fast and efficient
+ extremely easy to assemble
- no high twist blades for cooling
- expensive

Woodcomp
+ high twist so better cooling (didn't see relevant improvements in speed)
+ delivered with blades cover
+ look of the blades
+ low noise blades
- hub build quality
- complexity of the assembly of the hub (major minus if you get the prop
delivered
in different pieces)
- composite spinner
- support, 1 man show in CZ
- overall weight (extremely noticable with 3 blades prop)
- need a 3rd party controller to have a robust solution

If you are based in the US, I would think twice to use a woodcomp. Airmaster has
a local dealer (your preferred Europa US dealer :-) and it just works out of
the box with no required maintenance.

The only major issue with the airmaster is that you will need to have cowling
adjustements
to ensure proper cooling with the 914.

Jacques.

Read this topic online here: