Re: Europa-List: Re: Monowheel to trigear conversion - figures

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Monowheel to trigear conversion - figures
From: Steven Pitt <steven.pitt2@ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 17:32:38

Dear All,
May I come into this conversation at a late stage.
When I became a member of the Europa Club Committee and subsequently Vice
Chairman leading to Chairman, I tried to see if we could get an increase in
the MAUW upto 1450 lbs on the basis that there were Europas around the world
already flying at this figure.
Despite sending out a plea to the Matronics site I did not receive the
requested information to be able to put a case forward to the LAA for
consideration.
I appreciate that a change in the UK might be difficult as I understand that
the original 1370 lbs figure was extrapolated from the loading tests that
were originally done by the old Europa company and then taking into account
the multiplication factors used for 'plastic' aircraft etc. So to change the
MAUW may require further destructive testing for which the funds are
probably not available.
I repeat my request that any information on aircraft authorised throughout
the world at higher MAUW would be useful to start discussions with the LAA.
My own trigear is 861 lbs empty and I wish I was 175lbs, so it is always a
case of compromise when planning overseas trips.
Any information passed to me will be used with discretion. Thanks in
anticipation.
Steve Pitt
Chairman, Europa Club
G-SMDH trigear XS 912S with Airmaster