RE: Europa-List: Re: Monowheel to trigear conversion - figures

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Monowheel to trigear conversion - figures
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 02:05:55
Jonathan=2C
The weight shouldn't be a problem=2C of course official sanction of 1450 lb
s would be useful. Remember=2C that the Katana=2C which is a much heavier a
ircraft=2C has been flying with the 912 for many years without problems.
Karl

> Subject: Europa-List: Re: Monowheel to trigear conversion - figures
> From: jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk
> Date: Tue=2C 21 May 2013 15:47:32 -0700
> To: europa-list@matronics.com

uk>

> Couple of things. I thought long and hard before converting to tri-gear a
nd prioritised my needs: a) Make the whole landing experience less fraught.
 b) Keep it as light as possible. c) Retain the smoothness and economy of t
he 80 hp engine. d) Don't spend a fortune.

> We have precious few tar runways in the UK which don't charge eye-waterin
g landing fees. So operating on grass in a normally damp climate makes spat
s less advisable=2C due to clogging with mud and grass.

> Our permit system doesn't allow unfettered freedom to design and experime
nt with such things as fairings and spats=2C or anything else=2C except tha
t engineering approval gets obtained through submitting descriptions=2C dra
wings=2C photographs=2C analyses and the appropriate fee for modification a
pproval. Therefore the usual route to installing a mod is to buy something
already approved from a supplier.

> Because we're presently limited to 1370 lbs mauw=2C we need to think hard
er before loading up with goodies. For me=2C the idea of flying a Europa wi
th an empty weight in the mid 900 range is beyond consideration. It would m
ean a huge trade-off between fuel and payload. "Roll on 1450 lbs mauw"=2C I
 say.

> You guys across the pond enjoy greater freedoms=2C while being expected t
o shoulder a much greater load than us for public liability. But thanks for
 all your insights and suggestions given above.