Europa-List: Re: Right mag drop and rought running on 914

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Right mag drop and rought running on 914
From: Alan Carter <alancarteresq@onetel.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 15:15:59

Hello Chaps.
I don't think Rotax has any bloody standardisation in fact from a logical design
point of view I could do better.
What I wanted to know was ,when the say "L" mag switch is selected ON, what's
components
are live and working. So the last time I replaced a coil I colour coded
all from the plugs to the mag switch.

"R" was green and the top plugs,
"L" was red and the bottom plugs.
Simple follow the red or the green all the way.
So I have trouble down the green route ie to the top plugs, so have been looking
in this area.
But today I found out I colour coded it the wrong way round,
My green route actually goes to the bottom plugs and not the top plugs, so my
trouble
is not where I thought it was. (see code above)
My Proof is:Running on BOTH >smooth
Running on "L" smooth.
Running on "R" rough, then with one lead off the bottom row, Running very rough.
So "R" =Bottom Row of plugs.
It really depends on how the builder grounded the Mags on the Mag Switch
WHAT IS THE STANDARD WAY ????????
This is my 914.
"R" (coded Red route now) > Bottom Module >Bottom Coils >Bottom Plugs(red)
"L" (coded Green route now)>Top Module > Top Coils >Top Plugs (green).
"BOTH" Top and Bottom together.

So ignition "A"= (Top plugs) which is Mag Switch position (L) down the green
route.
Ignition "B" = (Bottom plugs) which is Mag Switch position (R) down the red
route.
Simple YES.
Alan

Read this topic online here: