Re: Europa-List: 914 rough running

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 rough running
From: Jerry Rehn <rehn@rockisland.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 20:36:17
Bob
Any idea what torque setting he used? And how he reshaped the bowls?

Sent from my iPad

On May 5, 2013, at 5:45 PM, Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com> wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> OK.  That's your problem if you tightened the bolt to published Rotax torq
ue specs.

> The O-ring is considerably thicker than the flat fiber washer.  It deforms
 the base of the carb bowl upwards so that it restricts the fuel flow into t
he main jet.  You don't have enough fuel flow to get your RPM above 2200-240
0 RPM.

> I chased this same problem for almost 3 months before Nathan, the Rotax te
ch from U.S.Aviation, happened to stop by the hanger one day.  He looked at i
t and immediately saw the problem as he'd worked on another Europa with the s
ame issue.  I taxied the aircraft over to his shop and he had it fixed in 2 d
ays.  He took the carb bowls off and restored them to the correct shape.  Th
en reassembled them carefully with just enough torque on the bolt to seat th
e O-ring but not deform the bowl.

> I don't know what technique Nathan used to correct the bent bowl bottom, b
ut that will have to be done.  Maybe you can find a Rotax tech in your area f
amiliar with the problem who can do it for you.

> Blue skies & tailwinds,
> Bob Borger
> Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
> Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
> 3705 Lynchburg Dr.
> Corinth, TX  76208-5331
> Cel: 817-992-1117
> rlborger@mac.com
>
> On May 5, 2013, at 7:12 PM, Jerry Rehn <rehn@rockisland.com> wrote:
>
> Bob
> The kit didn't include the o ring, go figure. I had to order them separate
ly, but that's what I have on now, which replaced the old style flat washer.

=========
=========
=========
=========