Re: Europa-List: 914 rough running

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 rough running
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 19:45:06
Jerry,

OK.  That's your problem if you tightened the bolt to published Rotax
torque specs.

The O-ring is considerably thicker than the flat fiber washer.  It
deforms the base of the carb bowl upwards so that it restricts the fuel
flow into the main jet.  You don't have enough fuel flow to get your RPM
above 2200-2400 RPM.

I chased this same problem for almost 3 months before Nathan, the Rotax
tech from U.S.Aviation, happened to stop by the hanger one day.  He
looked at it and immediately saw the problem as he'd worked on another
Europa with the same issue.  I taxied the aircraft over to his shop and
he had it fixed in 2 days.  He took the carb bowls off and restored them
to the correct shape.  Then reassembled them carefully with just enough
torque on the bolt to seat the O-ring but not deform the bowl.

I don't know what technique Nathan used to correct the bent bowl bottom,
but that will have to be done.  Maybe you can find a Rotax tech in your
area familiar with the problem who can do it for you.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com