Re: Europa-List: 914 rough running

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 rough running
From: Jerry Rehn <rehn@rockisland.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 17:12:22
Bob
The kit didn't include the o ring, go figure. I had to order them separately
, but that's what I have on now, which replaced the old style flat washer.

Sent from my iPad

On May 5, 2013, at 12:57 PM, Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com> wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> When you rebuilt the carbs, did the rebuild kit come with "O" rings rather
 than gaskets for the big bolt that holds the carb bowl on?

> Blue skies & tailwinds,
> Bob Borger
> Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
> Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
> 3705 Lynchburg Dr.
> Corinth, TX  76208-5331
> Cel: 817-992-1117
> rlborger@mac.com
>
> On May 5, 2013, at 2:43 PM, Jerry Rehn <rehn@rockisland.com> wrote:
>
> A little history. Engine has about 450 hours, always ran quite well, repla
ced upper ignition module about two years ago.
> On recent full boost takeoff, got to about 900 feet leveled off, pulled th
rottle back and engine ran severe rough, pulled back to idle and engine ran o
k, didn=99t stop! Landed. Checked fuel filter, ok, looked for anything
 around carbs, nothing. Tried several full run ups, ok. Tried second take of
f everything fine, pulled back and again engine ran severe rough, pulled bac
k to idle, ran rough, landed. Parked plane, got tools, next day removed carb
s looked for issues. Found one of the four screws that holds down the rubber
 diaphragm loose, very strange because I have never removed this before. Any
way figured this was my problem. Fixed took off all ok. Got home. Next day t
ried full boost, same issue again, didn=99t take off. Got carburetor r
epair kit and went through both carbs. Reinstalled carbs double checked. Sta
rted right up, as I move the throttle past 2300 rpm the yellow caution light
 starts blinking, engine runs rough, reduce rpm the light goes off, increase
 the light comes back on. Seems the engine runs off the idle jet ok but not o
n the main jet.
> I have also checked the waste gate for proper function, fuel pressure ok, t
urbo lights come on and go off as they should when master is tuned on, I hav
e looked at the vent lines. The yellow blinking light can indicate a sensor f
ailure, seems like it would continue blinking if there was a failure. Seems o
dd that it stops at low rpm. Seems I have some kind of a vacuum or pressure i
ssue, but am running out of ideas. I am about to go and recheck again! Could
 a faulty sensor cause this?
> Hope someone out there has some wise thoughts on this frustrating problem.
 Worse yet, we have beautiful spring flying weather!

=========
=========
=========
=========