Re: Europa-List: tri gear socket installation

Subject: Re: Europa-List: tri gear socket installation
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 15:07:06
Nev, Donald, and others having tri gear concerns.

Nev is right that the gap is really not that much of a concern
especially at 5-8 mm.   Organizing the project for efficiency of work
comes with practice.

The adjustment of the height of the fuselage to gear plane is one
excellent way to make and adjustment to the fit.  Just don't get too
carried away, keep it close to the vertical distance in the book, which
keeps the tail from being too low (nose gear higher means banging it
more often) or too high which increases the camber angle making tire
wear increase.

I do bend the flanges a bit to allow me not to have to use as much
Redux.  Then just bond it in.

Unlike Nev, I prefer to glue in the cleaned and dimpled metal sockets
first and allow to cure, then  put in Rib one the next day.  If working
alone, I put in both rib ones and let them partially cure, getting a
long coffee break.  If working with an assistant, we return when the
ribs are firm and apply Aeropoxy or Ampreg flox to fill the gaps at the
walls and smooth our Redux job a bit and apply more Redux to the leg
face for a good bond and follow with the number one layups. If we are
making good time, we lay on rib two with Redux then take a quick lunch
break.  We come back and while the Redux is a bit sticky but the rib is
in firmly, we lay in more flox and glass it up.  Then I allow it to cure
with a bit of peel ply.  That makes for a really long day though.

However, if you're not on with your glassing MOJO, as the kids say, then
I do rib two the next day.    Of course you can gather that the one and
two ribs are carefully cut to a tight fit and ready to install before
hand.  In a perfect world, the next day I do the trimming of the three
and four ribs and install them.  Your back will really need a break when
done.   Then take the gear out and glass in the bottom.

If working alone, and if the top is on already, work gets slowed down a
bit, so one rib a day is normally the rule.  It is getting winter time,
so heating of the project is necessary so it also tends to slow the
project a bit.

>From start to finish, one week to get the plane level and set, ribs in
and legs on.  That leaves the next week to get the wheels and brakes in
and operating, and the plane rolling.  Week three is needed for the
wheel pants and such.  Then you need a much deserved break but only a
short one, as there is more to do.  Getting the monowheel hole closed up
and figure how to get a lower access hole installed and fuel lines
cleaned up and accessories in that big old cockpit module hole.

Regards,
Bud Yerly