Re: Europa-List: tri gear socket installation

Subject: Re: Europa-List: tri gear socket installation
From: Neville Eyre <neveyre@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 03:57:08

Hi Donald,
1/2'' to 5/8'' gaps betwen the socket flange and the outer skin is not unus
ual, I could never work out where the variation came from ?
Most important is the ST 70 dimension.
Then ensure the track is true with the legs clamped to an angle straight ed
ge.Take measurements from tailplane torque tube ends to check this.
Then ensure the horizontal datum of the angle aligns with the aircrafts hor
izontal datum [ tailplane torque tube / wing spar bushes ].
Then check the lateral position from the aircrafts centre line [ also check
 the positive camber of the axle shafts and adjust [ worsen] the side to si
de positioning to get the camber of the shafts nearer to each other.
Forget about closing up the gap between the socket flanges and the fuselage
 skin.
If you can close up the gap [ dropping the fuselage ] without buggering up
any of the other parameters, well and good, otherwise go for it and use a t
hick Redux pad in the gap. I have slipped in some plywood shims to bulk out
 the gap if it as large as you describe [ Redux is expensive, slivers of wo
od will be free !]
Other things I do different, the lay up of the socket to Rib 1, don't smear
 Redux on the socket and do the lay up with Ampreg, do a HOT Redux lay up i
n 1 ply of Bid, 2'' onto each side of the Rib around the socket, peel ply a
nd let cure. Then do the lay ups as per Manual.
Do a hot Redux lay up on the outer face of the socket flange, peel ply etc,
 before doing the 2 Bid lay up on to the skin. Do the hot Redux lay ups ont
o plastic sheet, wet out well, then slap it on like an elastoplast !
Ampreg doesn't stick too well to steel, and I don't like messing with two d
ifferent epoxy systems  going wet on wet ?
Cheers,
Nev.