Re: Europa-List: tri gear socket installation

Subject: Re: Europa-List: tri gear socket installation
From: K BURNS <kjburns@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:01:18
Donald,=0A-=0AThe build manual says:-=0A-"If necessary, to ensure that
the plate of the gear leg socket is against the side of the fuselage,move t
he=0Aaxles as required relative to the fuselage centreline keeping the axle
 centres on FS70".=0A-=0ABy moving the legs in 1/2 an inch or so equaly o
n each side , you will close up the gap to a wedge shape, the manual also s
ugests the socket flanges can be adjusted to fit the profile better.=0A-
=0AMy fit was-close enougth-for an acceptable-redux filling, after ad
justing-the fuselage holes slightly, but it does appears that your legs n
eed to come together slightly-.=0A-=0A-=0AThere will be differences i
n exact positioning of the sockets due variations -to the elogation requi
red of the hole.=0A-=0ATwo-extra check measurement that I-found usefu
ll-were from a second angle iron ran through the cockpit, sat on the door
 sills,pushed hard against the seat back, and dropped a plumbline from the
inboard end to find a measurement from the spar face reference points :-=0A
-Not e :- F S 70 is 2.25" aft of the forward face of the port spar=0A
-------------------------
-- 1.00 aft of the forward face of the Starboard spar.=0A-=0AMark up
the fuselage to get a measurement to transfer from your second angle iron /
-plumb line, stick a spirit level on the angle Iron to check it is all pa
rallel when setting up , and stand back an look at the job, making sure it
is all square...=0A-=0AAlso, make sure your build cradle is squared off o
n all corners, and can not move.=0A-=0AI set up a false floor with 3 laye
rs of 3/4 ply,screwed down onto a pallet, with a timber beam accross to scr
ew down and clamp on, you will end up spending days setting your measuremen
ts unless everything is fastened down solid.=0A-=0AFinaly, you can do a d
ry run by lifting the sockets and legs to a flush position ,an using the fi
rst wedge shaped ply brace, hold the assembly in possition , then look at t
he axle to see how far in it is sitting .=0A-=0AYou are trying to acheive
 aligned axles on FS 70, within the factory height specified (prop clearanc
e)- 1/2 " or so different track width will make no significant difference
, and is the factory recomended solution per the manual.=0A-=0ARegards
=0A-=0AKevin=0A-=0A-=0A--=0A-=0A-=0A-=0A- =0A=0A_________
_______________________=0A From: fireflier <fireflier@btinternet.com>=0ATo:
 europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: Sunday, 25 November 2012, 1:02=0ASubjec
t: Europa-List: tri gear socket installation=0A  =0A--> Europa-List message
 posted by: "fireflier" <fireflier@btinternet.com>=0A=0AHello=0A=0AToday I
have been busy trial fitting my gear sockets. but I have got a problem and
wondered if anyone has experience this during building and how they have ov
ercome it?=0A=0AAfter taking my time setting everything up as per the build
 manual I inserted the gear legs and sockets into the holes clamping the ax
le's in position against angled bar with the axle center line on fuselage s
tation 70 and the axle end 36.75' from the fuselage center line.- With al
l this set up the socket flanges are approx 13 - 15 mm of the fuselage.=0A
=0AI tried altering the fuselage underside to ground height but this made v
ery little difference to the distance between socket flanges and the fusela
ge.- I managed to get the gap down to approx 5-8mm by reducing the fusela
ge underside to ground height to 395mm, this is very different to the 413mm
 quoted in the build manual.=0A=0AI have attached some photos showing the g
ap between sockets and fuselage and also the position of the socket tubes w
ithin the baggage bays when inserted.=0A=0AAny comments or solutions to my
problem would be much appreciated.=0A=0AMany thanks for taking the time in
trying to help me find a solution to the problems I'm experiencing.=0A=0AKi
nd regards=0ADonald=0A=0A--------=0AFireflier=0A=0A=0A=0A=0ARead this topic
 online here:=0A=0Ahttp://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=388820#388
820=0A=0A=0A=0A=0AAttachments: =0A=0Ahttp://forums.matronics.com//files/por
t_axle_494.jpeg=0Ahttp://forums.matronics.com//files/starboard_axle_172.jpe