Re: Europa-List: Re: tri gear socket installation

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: tri gear socket installation
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 16:32:19

On 11/25/2012 03:41 PM, jglazener wrote:

> Obviously, writing a post after Nev I have little to add on how to do
> things right. I did  however have the same problem and in my case at
> least it turned out to be faulty measurements. There are quite a few
> variables and any one of them can knock the measurements off. My
> garage for instance has a drain in the middle and the floors slope
> very slightly towards that.

To avoid this problem I welded two vertical bars to my build craddle
with adjustable ends, so I could attach an artificial floor straight
edge to it, and adjust everything independantly from the floor. This
might be a solution for you if your floor is not perfectly even, or when
you use a movable build craddle.
Also make sure you end up with some degree of toe in on the axles, as
the aircraft weight and roll friction will push the wheels outward a
little. This prevents the problem that the tires wear prematurely on the
inboard side. (After 200 hours, I still have even wear on the tires,
never had to swap or reverse them).

> It really is worth checking everything 10 times to avoid that.

Yep, don't rush it. It is hard to readjust later on.

Frans