Re: Europa-List: Vapour lock? Why?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Vapour lock? Why?
From: klinefelter.kevin@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:50:31
I have the same system Paul describes. I have not experienced the problem Fra
ns had. But I operate consistently at far higher density altitudes and temps
 than described.
Frans, perhaps you are on to something regarding the filters before the pump
s causing vaporization of the auto fuel at high density altitude/temp, and p
erhaps that is the part of the system that is need of redesign. I wonder if t
rying larger filters and fuel lines would mean less resistance and therefor n
o vaporization?
Kevin
PS- it was great to see few Europa drivers at Oshkosh!

On Jul 31, 2012, at 5:51 AM, Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com> wr
ote:

> Hi All,
>
> I don't know if this helps or not, but in 1000 hours of operation I have n
ever experienced a vapor lock like Frans has described using Mo Gas. I have o
perated my aircraft on days that are 35c ~ 40c, which have included long tax
i runs.  My experience may not translate because most of my take off and lan
dings  are at around 1000' MSL.  On hot days this equates to about 3000' den
sity altitude.

> What I have seen is the engine will not start on a hot day after sitting f
or a while and what I do in this situation is to turn the fuel pumps off, st
art the engine and then turn the pumps on.

> I have a single gascolator, with dual pumps + check valves in parallel and
 this sits under the baggage bay. I also have a UMA differential fuel pressu
re sensor.

=========
=========
=========