RE: Europa-List: Vapour lock? Why?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Vapour lock? Why?
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 17:58:47

Hi Frans,

We had a problem with vapor lock in our XS mono-wheel with 912S, which caused
the
engine to run rough.  I happened several times, only in the winter months.
This happened several times on take off after a cold start of the engine, at
or near sea level.  We use auto fuel, and here in the US, they put more
volatiles
in the fuel in the cold months to help starting.  It seemed to create a bubble
of vapor at or near the carbs that would slowly (tens of minutes) go away.
On one occasion I was doing some glide tests (at about 8000 feet) with the
engine shut down, when I restarted the engine it ran rough, I turned on the
electric
boost pump and it killed the engine completely.  What I think happened
is the extra boost 'blew' the entire bubble into the carbs all at once and
killed
the engine.  I restarted the engine and it ran better in a few minutes.
We put aluminum coated insulation around the float bowls and nearby lines and
never
had the problem again.

Regards,
Terry Seaver