Re: Europa-List: Re: Rotax 914 - how to avoid an overboost?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Rotax 914 - how to avoid an overboost?
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:37:27
914 folks,

I'm not sure another buzzer/warning light is sufficient.  I have the GRT
EIS400 and you can set an acceptable operating range for just about
every parameter the EIS measures and displays.  When any parameter goes
out of range you have a noise in the headset, the RED master warning
light illuminates and the EIS display shows a flashing out of range
parameter value.

So you apply throttle on go-around for some reason that already has your
attention and you get buzzing and flashing, oh crap, what's wrong...
You look to see what the display is flashing and finally figure out that
it's showing 45" of boost and you reach for the throttle.  By that time
something has already broken.

Giles has the best remedy.  Any time you advance the throttle, you
should be watching manifold pressure.  The throttle is used to control
MP on an aircraft with a C/S prop.  When you reach for the throttle, you
should be doing it to set a specific MP so you should be watching MP.
Now that could be difficult to do when you are already preoccupied with
another problem situation that has required an increase in power, but it
should still be Throttle-MP.

Just my 2=A2.  Take it for what it's worth.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com