Re: Europa-List: Re: Rotax 914 - how to avoid an overboost?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Rotax 914 - how to avoid an overboost?
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:11:13

Roland a crit :
> Watching the manifold can be an option, but believe me that you have an
> overboost
within a second or two with T/O-power and the gate fully closed - so you
have to be very quick. I also doubt, that you have your eyes on this the first
seconds in a go around situation.

Roland and all,

As a flight instructor and Rotax 914 homebuilder and flyer, I would
strongly insist on monitoring engine parameters (viz manifold pressure
and rpm) when setting takeoff/go around power. It is naturally easier
with conventional gauges with clear legal redlines : one gets quickly
used to watch the needles reaching the redline from the corner of one's eye.
Also, what is definitely needed in a "electrically dependant" aircraft,
is a conspicuous under voltage warning light.
My best sympathy for your mishap,

Best regards,
--
Gilles