Re: Europa-List: Show us your panels !

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Show us your panels !
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 18:49:03

All

I do for my business and to get some fuel to fly
for example all kinds of outdoor displays. I have
done since 1980 about 500.000 hand soldering
joints by myself. They all are outside in very
hard conditions; humidity 30-100%, sometimes under
water, temp varies -40...+100 (yes - you can fry
an egg there over the black aluminium plate), some
of them are a bit shakeing and so. None of them -
I repeat - none has ever broken. If a soldering
joint is well done, it is so forever. At least
when I complete it (or my wife)!

I wish I had a photo of my "main bus" and "sub
busses". Some of you will got a heart attack if
saw them. Buy your medicine - I will some day show
you.

Is not that strange that in aviation there are
many so old but still valid techs like this (to
crimp)?

For example it is awful that we have fuel in the
cockpit. Think about every Cessnas or Pipers
primer or those oil pressure gauges which bring
hot oil over your knees. And sometimes to your
knees. Our fuel filters under our ashes or that
grazy sight gauge. (Thanks Frans - I WILL
ELIMINATE IT ASAP).

Generating heat in a plane is easy to do from the
muffler. That is dangerous. I hate my heating
systems and have that is why a CO-detector. Should
make a heater via radiator. Next winter?

We - as an experimentalists - are the sharp point
of the development. Lets be brave and do our job
as well as we can.

Of course I do understand: old way is usually more
safe than a pack full of new but not so much
experienced way.

Still, some habits should change - let us step
down from the elephants bone tower...

Raimo
Finland
OH-XRT