Re: Europa-List: Re: Pitot Static

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Pitot Static
From: klinefelter.kevin@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 17:47:17
Hi Jim,
Do you think that mounting location will work well for the Dynon AOA?
Is yours working well? In other words, is this worth doing?
Thanks, Kevin
Mono 914, 400hrs

On Apr 13, 2012, at 2:47 PM, jimpuglise@comcast.net wrote:

> Kevin-
>
> Given the length and size of the Gretz fixture, that would be a lot of str
ess on a small area surrounding the access cover.  You might be able to rein
force around it, but in my install, I used 1/16 plywood and two layers of BI
D about 12 inches square.

> Jim Puglise
> N283JL

his requires the Dynon aoa pitot to be installed on my completed wing. I thi
nk that could be done easily by mounting the pitot on the bellcrank access c
over. Has anyone done this successfully?
> thanks, Kevin
> Mono 914, 400hrs
> On Mar 31, 2012, at 1:09 PM, jimpuglise@comcast.net wrote:
>
> Paul-
>
> I mounted my Dynon on the same wing as the Europa probe.  It mounts a litt
le more toward the leading edge as I recall.  I think I mounted mine just be
hind the spar.  If you have closed your wings, you would need to put a hole i
n your skin to mount it, and do as Bud said and use the Gretz mount.  I back
ed my Gretz mount with 1/16 plywood and BID.  I put them in the same wing to
 avoid putting a run of irrigation tubing in the other wing also.  The four t
ubes share a length of tubing to the wing root.  I actually had to change th
e tubing and was able to get to it through the inspection port and do it in o
nly an hour or so.  I used a "T" connector to use the Europa static port for
 the Dynon also.  Works fine.  I have photos of it all if you need them.

> Jim Puglise
> N283JL -- 15 hrs and fighting cooling devils

ormal A/S and Altimeter.  The Dynon probe is added to the other wing normall
y and feeds the Dynon pitot/aoa.  I make a 5 inch access hole and build in a
 flange then mount the probe and its Gretz mount to the wing about 10 inches
 back from the leading edge as that is what Dynon recommends I believe for i
ts AOA function.  Should icing be a consideration, I mount a cockpit static v
alve to use the cockpit air which is accurate to about 2 knots and 50 feet a
t all speeds and altitudes to 10,000 ft.

> Do not mount the Dynon where the standard pitot is.
>
> Regards,
> Bud

f installing this AoA, but their probe has just 2 holes - pitot and AoA - I'
d then have to find another source    for the static air - can you recall wh
at George Reed did for static?

 href="http://forums.matronics.com";>http://forums.matronics.com
com/contribution href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution";>http://www.m
atronics.com/c================