RE: Europa-List: Approach and Landing Speeds

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Approach and Landing Speeds
From: Ivan Shaw <ivanshaw@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 19:11:27

Through flight test find out what the indicated stall speed is at gross
weight and full flap of YOUR aircraft, then multiply this by 1.3, this is
your normal approach speed.
If it is gusty then add half the gust speed, if it is flat calm or a stead
breeze and you are light weight, [single place] then you can creeper it in
carrying a little power at minus five knots standard approach speed.
Practice at altitude flying in the landing configuration [full flap]at your
standard approach speed and get used to the feel of the aircraft, 'recognize
the first nibble of a stall', do it until you are really COMFORTABLE,
practice rate one turns left and right keeping the ball centred.
Ideally practice on a long wide runway with clear approaches, take your time
so you develop a 'feel' for the aircraft.
When you get it right the aircraft 'dies in your hand' one inch above your
chosen touch down point!!! But don't expect it too often!

Regards
Ivan