Re: Europa-List: Re : Smooth Prime

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re : Smooth Prime
From: Steven Pitt <steven.pitt2@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:48:50
John et al,
I did my trigear in Smooth Prime for all the positives that have already
been stated. I then had the aircraft professionally painted (rather than
by me) and after 5 years I am still very happy with the results. However
one other UK builder has not had such a good result with the same Smooth
Prime and same painter although it is being rectified in good order.
I was always told that damp was the main problem with the Poly Fiber
system ie it has to be absolutely dry before top coating and I know that
mine went into a newly built oven on a low heat after having 'cured' in
my garage for a couple of years after I painted the primer on.
I was interested to hear that the recommendation is now to seal with an
epoxy primer and I can see the logic but who does it - the builder or
the painter and does the primer also need sanding down.
At the end of the day you pays your money and ........
As I said I was delighted with my aircraft finish and would recommend
Smooth Prime again with the caveat.
Regards
Steve Pitt
G-SMDH