Europa-List: Re : Smooth Prime

Subject: Europa-List: Re : Smooth Prime
From: John Wigney <johnwigney@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:55:38
Hi Fred,

I did my whole plane with Smooth Prime. I found it very easy to apply
with a small diameter foam roller and small plastic paint tray.
Instructions are at http://www.polyfiber.com/uvsmooth/

I did the 3 coats and sanded down with 320 grit. Sanded down again with
320 after another 3 coats. Sanding of Smooth Prime to get a good finish
is very easy. As I remember the dilution, if any, was as specified on
the can. I sprayed Aerothane topcoat after this with good results. I
understand that some have had problems with the topcoat possibly due to
inadequate drying of the water based Smooth Prime. Instructions are very
clear that it should be left for 3 weeks to dry. Poly Fiber now
recommend sealing the Smooth Prime with epoxy primer. I did not do this
as it was not specified when I did the job.

Re quantity, I do not remember. Suggest you start with 1 gallon and see
how you get on.

Cheers, John