Re: Europa-List: Re : Smooth Prime

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re : Smooth Prime
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:53:14

Guys, If you haven't already bought the Smooth Prime, I
strongly suggest giving some thought to gel coat. As far
as I know every competitive fibreglass glider uses this
system because it gives the ultimate finish, is very
durable, andgives ultimate aerodynamic performance. After
10 years my plane still has a surface which outshines
virtually all Europas. The process is also simple: it
needs a single sprayed layer (no primer, undercoat or UV
protection - the gel is itself UV opaque) and then is
rubbed down with wet & dry sandpaper 600, 1200 & 2000
grit. The finish is like the bit of anatomy that Cuban
virgins are alleged to use for rolling the best sort of
cigars!, and is absolutely what laminar flow surfaces
need. Unlike dry sanding, wet & dry finishing is a
pleasure. It is sometimes said to be heavy but my plane is
one of the lightest 914/wobbly prop planes on the
register. The only thing I would advise is that you get
the actual spraying done by an expert, someone who is used
to gel coating gliders.
regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ