Re: Europa-List: Re : Lightning Strike-possible protection ? Faraday cag

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re : Lightning Strike-possible protection ? Faraday cage
From: K BURNS <kjburns@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:36:49
effect paint

All,=0A-=0AMetal aircraft benefit from the Faraday cage effect , as the s
trike tracks across the surface of the airframe and exits through a point o
n opposite surface.=0A-=0AWhy can we not have a layer of conductive paint
 to create a Faraday cage-?=0A-=0AThe top most layer would be easiest f
or electrical conductivity, but base coats would do-a similar-job in pr
otecting the airframe below.=0A-=0ASeems others have used this technique
before -http://www.aztechnology.com/PDFs/materials-catalog.pdf=0A-=0AI go
t to thinking what protected the wooden gliders soaring Cu-nims in early da
ys of soaring ?=0A-=0ACould it have been the aluminium powder in the dope
 ( used in base coats to protect the cotton fabric-and wood from UV damag
e) therefore creating a Faraday cage ?=0A-=0AConstructive thoughts please
..=0A-=0AKevin Burns=0A =0A=0A________________________________=0A From: K
 BURNS <kjburns@btinternet.com>=0ATo: "europa-list@matronics.com" <europa-l
ist@matronics.com> =0ASent: Tuesday, 21 February 2012, 0:19=0ASubject: Re:
Europa-List: Re : Lightning Strike=0A  =0A=0AMeet the guys that had to bail
 out of the K 21 Glider :-=0A-=0Ahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeLl_Cl
xf1g=0A =0A=0A________________________________=0A From: John Wigney <johnwi
gney@windstream.net>=0ATo: martflynut@aol.com; Europa-List <europa-list@mat
ronics.com> =0ASent: Tuesday, 14 February 2012, 15:52=0ASubject: Europa-Lis
t: Re : Lightning Strike=0A  =0A=0AHi Martin,=0A=0AYou may have heard this
before but for small planes, the conventional wisdom in the US is to stay a
 minimum of 20 miles from a thunderstorm. This might seem a long way but I
am pretty sure it was developed at the school of hard knocks.=0A=0AIn poor
weather afew years ago in Arkansas, I inadvertently strayed much closer and
 was startled with a large lightning bolt much too close for comfort. Once
is enough; I try not to repeat that. =0A=0ACheers, John=0AN262WF, mono XS,
912S=0AMooresville, North Carolina=0A=0A=0A =0A=0A_________________________
_______=0A =0ASubject: Europa-List: Lightning Strike=0AFrom: "Martin Ollive
r" <martflynut@aol.com> Hi All. Has anyone experienced a lightning strike i
n a Europa? If not what is the=0Aperceived result of such a strike? A few y
ears ago in the south of England=0Aa plastic glider was struck and broke up
 in flight both occupants survived as=0Aparachutes were deployed. A luxury
I am unable to have due to size issues (not=0Asaying I am fat just well bui
lt!) My concern with the Europa is the lack of bonding=0Abetween components
 and conductors to ensure components don't explode apart,=0Aas happened wit
h the glider. If as I suspect we all take a risk with this issue has any on
e considered any=0Apossible remedial action to improve the situation?=0AMar
tin.  =0A=0Ahttp://www=================