Re: Europa-List: Wiring connectors

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wiring connectors
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 21:03:24
Tony,
Pidge connectors and the proper crimping tool is the way to go.
Bob Knuckles of Aeroelectric fame is a lover of spade connectors, I hate
them as they tend to be very hard to disengage with fat fingers in a
dark hole inside an airplane.
I prefer ring terminals which are terrible to get a screw driver on in
the dark in a hole in a panel.

No matter what you decide, please buy a quality crimping tool for Pidge
style connectors ( I spent $100 and mine is perfect, but not for a one
time use) or better yet get a good crimping tool and practice.
I prefer AMP connectors, and the circular AMP or now Tyco Amp plastic
circular connectors.
For a crimp tool the AMP pro crimper at A/C Spruce is very good and very
expensive.  Eclipse has a good crimper with various heads, but do some
hand strengthening exercises to use it.  Cost is about $40 and heads are
also about $40 for Pidge, standard, Coax etc.

I suggest you look on line at Allied or Digikey for tools and Dsub
connectors.  Again, I have a pair of crimpers that I only use as I do
not want to lose them.  I can make 100 crimps and only have one bad one.
 (I test each one anyway) and have found the Eclipse Dsub pin crimper to
be quite good, but watch your wire size.  20 Ga, through 18 Ga works
well with the Eclipse, but you need a good AMP with the proper die to do
the really small 24-26 wires, but you can make do with cheaper ones.

Enjoy your stay.
Regards,
Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations, Inc.