Europa-List: Re: Sealing the water and oil coolers in a Classic

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Sealing the water and oil coolers in a Classic
From: zwakie <mz@cariama.nl>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 14:24:37

zwakie wrote:

> frans@privatepilots.nl wrote:
> > Oil won't siphon out, unless there is the tiniest air leak somewhere in the
system.

> (I am trying to understand the physics at work in the section between oil tank
and sucking oil pump, hence following questions - please forgive my ignorance
[Wink] )

> (let's assume no leaks anywhere) I would expect siphoning in either direction
can only be avoided if and when both of the following are true in case engine
is not running:
> 1. oil pump does not allow air from inside engine to creep back into this
> section
nor does it allow oil to flow into the engine
> 2. oil tank does not allow air to creep into this section either
>
> Can anyone confirm that the oil pump indeed prevents air from creeping back
> into
the hose and prevent oil from flowing into the engine -  is it by any chance
the hydraulic valve tappet that takes care of this?.
> If I am misunderstanding this part completely, can anyone please explain what
physics are at work to close down this end of the section?

> Assuming that the oil pump does indeed stop oil and air from flowing in either
direction, I would think that the 'pipe' that sucks oil from the oil tank
prevents
siphoning from that end because it sits well below the oil tank's oil level
(preventing air from entering that section). Is this reasoning correct?

Anyone please?

--------
Marcel
(Europa Classic Tri-Gear PH-MZW)