Re: Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp after Sales Service

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp after Sales Service
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:45:26
Richard,

If you want a constant speed prop, the prop of choice for many folks is the
Airmaster
propeller with their AC200F controller as recommended by Europa.  It's
not perfect but it does extremely well and they are always working to improve
on it.  They have their original 3 blade system with Warp Drive blades for
either
the 80/100 HP or 115+ HP engines as well as their new 2 blade system with
blades from Sensenich.  Their own controller works quite well.  They have hub
configurations available for most engines that folks stuff in the front of their
Europas (Europii?)  They have a long history of working with Europa and Europa
builders.  I find them most responsive and supportive of their products.

Unfortunately, they are located in New Zealand which is on the other side of the
earth, quite literally, from the U.K. and most of the remaining Europa
population.
Shipping back and forth is a bugger.  Local reps, like Europa in the U.K.
and Bud Yerly in the U.S.A. can help.

In most cases their props seem a bit under-bladed for our application, so they
might not wring out the last HP of efficiency but they used to push my Europa,
back when it was still a monowheel, along at a solid 140 kts TAS @ 4.0 - 4.5
gph at about a 75% cruise power setting.  I'm still about a week from flying the
tri-gear conversion so I can't speak for it at this time.

A final issue is the response time of the prop to a rapid throttle advance.  It
can be slower than desired producing a momentary exceed of the takeoff RPM.
You can soon learn to compensate for this simply by not advancing the throttle
as rapidly allowing the prop to keep up.

They have an excellent web site at
http://www.airmasterpropellers.com/Products.aspx with support and information
on their AP332 and AP420 prop packages as well as hubs, blades, Controllers,
spinners, extensions & hardware.  Should you have any questions Martin, the
owner, is the guy on the other end who will respond.

I suggest you look into Airmaster before you commit to another prop
manufacturer.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Tri-Gear, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S Prop
http://www.europaowners.org/forums/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=60232
http://www.biplaneforumgallery.com/index.php?cat=10046
Europa Flying!
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123
Cel:  817-992-1117

On Jun 27, 2011, at 15:06, nigel henry wrote:

> Well Guys,
>                 do we fit a plank of wood to the front of the Rotax or are
> there
other options I thought
> it was the prop of chose ? who's next and why do the manufactures not take
> notice
of the pilots in the seat