Re: Europa-List: Fitting of main landing gear on XS-Tri

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fitting of main landing gear on XS-Tri
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 10:56:20

On May 25, 2011, at 9:33 AM, Allan Skanderup Nielsen wrote:

>  My question is: Is it allright to fit the main landing gear before
> the top moulding?

Allan,

Notwithstanding the sequence outlined in the Europa manual, I've done
exactly what you're considering.

I did so however only after making a substantial "cradle" frame in
which the lower half of the fuselage sits in a manner which ensures
that the moulding is fully supported to maintain its shape. I also
used clecos at 12" o.c. in order to be able to temporarily secure the
upper fuselage to the lower half. In the process of doing this, I
worked hard to ensure the fuselage was level and true by using my
digital level and string lines fore and aft.

I don't regret a bit my decision to defer bonding the upper and lower
fuselage mouldings together until the last possible moment.

Happy building,

Fred