RE: Europa-List: Fitting of main landing gear on XS-Tri

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Fitting of main landing gear on XS-Tri
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 16:09:30
--->"Only the wings should be fitted AFTER the top is on."

I too, am trying to do everything with the top off, to not have to crawl
back into the dungeon of doom. One more climb will be needed probably, to
set the final position of the mass balance 'H' tower in the back, even with
its false fuselage hat. It conforms to the fuse, but does not seem to
adequately position itself with the top mounted down.

I am hoping that having clecoes every 3-4 inches on the main fuselage, and
every 2-3 inches (more where needed, in both cases) in the tail area, and
the top in its final pre-glue resting state including any spacers, will be
an adequate replacement for a glued-in fuse...to allow wing lift and flap
pin plus actuator installation, and not have them move later. Seem ok?
Anyone do this...or just thoughts?

  _____

Allan,

I agree with all the other builders. I did practically everything before
putting the top on. Even painted the bottom, because that is easy in the
inverted position. I had no need to crawl into the tail after the top was
bonded on. When you put in all the wall and head lining, leave extra
material along the edges so you can trim that off afterwards. Only the wings
should be fitted AFTER the top is on.

Karl