Re: Europa-List: 912 quit

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 912 quit
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 00:54:53
Sounds like vaporization. Check that you have adequate bleed back, the fuel
 gets =0Ahot in the fuel pump which is attached to the gearbox in hot engin
e oil. Are all =0Athe in cowl pipes firesleeved?=0Afit the carb drip trays
if you can, although if you have the water heated carbs =0A(recommended) th
at might be tricky=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A______________________________
__=0AFrom: Glenn Rainey <nimbusaviation@YAHOO.COM>=0ATo: europa-list@matron
ics.com=0ASent: Monday, 9 May, 2011 11:24:13=0ASubject: Europa-List: 912 qu
oo.com>=0A=0A07/05/2011 we experienced an engine stop with the 912 in our m
onowheel  - this =0Ahappened just as the throttle was being advanced at the
 commencement of the =0Atakeoff sequence, so we rolled only a hundred feet
or so and coasted to a halt. =0AAfter less than a minute, a first restart a
ttempt was successful, and we taxied =0Aback to the apron uneventfully, tai
l between legs, where my second action was to =0Aput on the kettle for a cu
p of tea. =0A=0A=0APerhaps relevent, I had heard a sharp 'bump' about 10 se
conds earlier, as we =0Awere turning on the threshold to line up, and thoug
ht I had hit a light or =0Asomething with the outrigger, but nothing was se
en.  The ambient conditions were =0Aabout 21=B0C and some showers were in t
he area with a convective active frontal =0Asystem; we had just completed 1
 circuit to land after a reasonably expeditious =0Adeparture, but on backtr
acking from the first landing, had to hold for about 5-6 =0Aminutes on the
main apron, then backtrack the second half of the active. =0A=0A=0AImmediat
ely after parking first action was to pull the top (XS) cowl when we =0Anot
iced fuel boiling up the vent tubes which run into the airbox, both sides.
=0A=0AMy take on this is fuel vaporisation due to high carb temps. Our (sec
ond owner) =0Aeuropa is NOT fitted with drip trays under the carbs - now an
 item of concern, =0Anor is there any exhaust manifold insulation. The more
 I read the greater my =0Aconcern about in-cowl temps and comprehensive act
ion to prevent a repeat of this =0Aexperience. =0A=0A=0AFuel pressure indic
ations were normal, and coolant temp was showing about 40=B0C, =0Aalthough
we now suspect the Temp sender is malfunctioning. Oil and CHTs where =0Anom
inal. =0A=0A=0AOurs may be just another data point, but while we trawl this
 archive and worry =0Athe problem, any comments would be most welcome. My o
wn last engine quit, also =0Aon the ground, was due carb ice in an O-200; b
ut this was much more 'exciting' =0Acoming as it did at the moment of truth
 .. "G-HL, rolling" - phut! =0A=0A=0AThe climb-out to our east is lacking a
 good escape option.=0A=0AGlenn Rainey=0ACumbernauld, Scotland=0AG-OJHL=0A