RE: Europa-List: 912 quit

Subject: RE: Europa-List: 912 quit
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 12:19:31

Glenn=2C
My engine never quit=2C but I observed identical boilover on a hot day. It
was fixed by putting heat shields below the carbs. On the port side I have
a plate made of firewall material=2C attached to the top bolt of the exhaus
t. On the starboard side I now have a larger and flexible asbestos plate (f
rom ACS)=2C not attached to anything=2C but firmly wedged into place=2C and
 easy to remove for inspections. There is even more heat starboard because
of the oil tank etc.
Karl

> Date: Mon=2C 9 May 2011 11:24:13 +0100
> From: nimbusaviation@YAHOO.COM
> Subject: Europa-List: 912 quit
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
>

> 07/05/2011 we experienced an engine stop with the 912 in our monowheel  -
 this happened just as the throttle was being advanced at the commencement
of the takeoff sequence=2C so we rolled only a hundred feet or so and coast
ed to a halt. After less than a minute=2C a first restart attempt was succe
ssful=2C and we taxied back to the apron uneventfully=2C tail between legs
=2C where my second action was to put on the kettle for a cup of tea.

> Perhaps relevent=2C I had heard a sharp 'bump' about 10 seconds earlier
=2C as we were turning on the threshold to line up=2C and thought I had hit
 a light or something with the outrigger=2C but nothing was seen.  The ambi
ent conditions were about 21=B0C and some showers were in the area with a c
onvective active frontal system=3B we had just completed 1 circuit to land
after a reasonably expeditious departure=2C but on backtracking from the fi
rst landing=2C had to hold for about 5-6 minutes on the main apron=2C then
backtrack the second half of the active.

> Immediately after parking first action was to pull the top (XS) cowl when
 we noticed fuel boiling up the vent tubes which run into the airbox=2C bot
h sides.

> My take on this is fuel vaporisation due to high carb temps. Our (second
owner) europa is NOT fitted with drip trays under the carbs - now an item o
f concern=2C nor is there any exhaust manifold insulation. The more I read
the greater my concern about in-cowl temps and comprehensive action to prev
ent a repeat of this experience.

> Fuel pressure indications were normal=2C and coolant temp was showing abo
ut 40=B0C=2C although we now suspect the Temp sender is malfunctioning. Oil
 and CHTs where nominal.

> Ours may be just another data point=2C but while we trawl this archive an
d worry the problem=2C any comments would be most welcome. My own last engi
ne quit=2C also on the ground=2C was due carb ice in an O-200=3B but this w
as much more 'exciting' coming as it did at the moment of truth .. "G-HL=2C
 rolling" - phut!