RE: Europa-List: 912 quit

Subject: RE: Europa-List: 912 quit
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 10:11:03

Hi Glenn,

I had what might be a similar experience a few years ago with our 912S powered
XS, which I believe was caused by vapor lock.  At about 9,000 feet altitude I
shut down the engine to do some glide tests, and when I restarted a few minutes
later the engine ran rough.  When I turned on the boost pump, the engine quit.
I believe that the extra flow created when the boost pump went on forced a
'vapor bubble' into the carbs and killed the engine.  It restarted moments later
and I made a precautionary landing to check things out.  We had noticed rough
running on a few other occasions, and came to a few conclusions.
1) This seemed to happen following a start with the engine already hot.
2) It only seemed to happen in the winter when auto fuel has more volatiles in
it.
3) It was more likely (but not always) to happen at higher elevation, where the
vapor pressure is lower.

We assumed the problem was vapor lock caused by the close proximity of the
exhaust
to the carbs and associated lines.
We fitted aluminized heat shield material to the bottoms of the carbs and the
associated
fuel lines and have not had the problem since.

Regards,
Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD
Monowheel XS with 912S