Re: Europa-List: Best device to ratify the Actual Fuel Flow on a 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Best device to ratify the Actual Fuel Flow on a 914
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 10:31:04

On 04/30/2011 03:35 AM, Tony Renshaw wrote:
> I have
> only 1 Floscan 201B, and they aint cheap, plus I don't have the said
> device yet either. If Matts is the best, well problem solved, but I
> am wondering if there is a workaround,

The 914 has a constant fuel flow. What the engine doesn't use is flowing
back to the tank. The forward fuel flow will be around 120 liters per
hour, regardless of power setting.

(You might wonder whether you can then instead only measure the return
flow, as this is engine power related. Problem here is that the forward
fuel flow is not constant but depends a bit on voltage for the electric
pump, the resistance of the fuel filter (changing over time) and the
fuel level in the tank. Just a 10% difference in foward fuel flow will
make your return flow derived 15 liters per hour fuel consumption
radically change into an indicated 27 liter per hour or only 3 liter per
hour).

There is no other option than to install two fuel flow senders in a 914
and to substract the return flow from the forward flow.

Frans