Re: Europa-List: Re: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground.
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:39:02
Please don't overanalyze the Jab vs Rotax decision.
Kevin is right, it is apples and oranges.

Those of us near sea level, you are fine with a normally aspirated
engine.
For those flying out of 5000 foot MSL airstrips and climbing in and out
of mountains, you can't beat a turbo.
If you want super long range (ouch my bladder hurts) you need to look at
specific fuel consumption or cruise fuel flows.
My Europa trigear holds 20 US gallons useable (yea the new tank holds a
bit more) and at 4.5 gallons an hour, it exceeds my bladder capacity.
Geared vs direct drive is a mute point.  They both work.  Geared turns
the prop a bit slower, direct is a shorter prop.  This is not a factor
for the Europa's prop limit of 64 inches.  The Jab runs on AV gas, and
Aviation consumables and has a higher specific fuel consumption.  The
Rotax can run on car gas without problems and is very economical at
cruise, and performs well at higher altitude...  (It also gives neat
airshow departures.)  Cooling is not an issue in my bird at all during
climb or takeoff.  But there are those pesky hoses and the coolant
radiator to fool with in 5 years when I better change them.

I have found my early early 914 is not the engine of the new 914s.  The
new Jabiru 3300 is not the same engine as the original solid lifter
engines.  Kit manufacturers who saddled themselves with only one engine
choice have come up with carburetor, cowl and cooling changes which have
made their engines more user friendly for their aircraft.  There are
some idiots flying with Celsius info in the EFIS and telling the
prospective buyer the engine is running super cool.  Thankfully, no one
I know is doing that on purpose.  Rest assured, any changes from the
primary engine recommended by the aircraft manufacturer will need some
tinkering.

Truth be known, I don't have time to tinker on my own plane anymore, so
I need a lazy mans fire wall forward for the trigear.
That is why I have a Rotax and an Airmaster Prop.  To me it is just
easier to maintain and work on this combination.  It is as close to
FADEC as I can get with my wallet.  Climb and dive, winter or summer,
just smack the throttle around and it takes it.  No oil leaks, shock
cooling, taxi cooling, or noisy prop noise requiring ANR headsets to
limit my flying.  Although those pesky leaky tires required me to make
new wheel pants for easy filling since it sits a lot...

We are tinkering with the setup right now of the older model Jab and
Rotax in the shop.  Tuning is an issue.  When the storm damage is fixed,
we'll fly more and report back.  Same with the Airmaster two blade vs
three.  The setbacks we've had have slowed us down and removed labor and
financial assets, but we will press on.

Note:  Keep your ear to the ground as the recent storm damage across the
US has left many aircraft owners with totaled aircraft, but they still
have engines, and sales may be on the horizon.

We have a new US owner.  They are Mike and Erin DePeugh of Pekin Il. Ken
Gresham flew him in his Europa and he was hooked.  I'll send some
pictures as soon as his plane and he arrives at the shop in May.

Have a great week.  I am off to my son's graduation and will have my
first 4 day in a row break since 2006.  Ed and Chris will run the shop
as I may not want to come back to work.

Regards,
Bud