Re: Europa-List: Relay to act as kill switch

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Relay to act as kill switch
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 21:26:19

On 06/18/2010 04:27 PM, Greg Fuchs wrote:

> Explosions can put out fires.

That's right. And you can also use it to blow a hole in the fuel tank,
if you need to empty it in a hurry.
The Saturnus V rocket was already equipped with explosives, to separate
the stages, to separate the service module from the command module, to
release itself from the launch pad, and... to rip open the fuel tanks in
case of an airborn abort.
So, we should learn from that. If it is good enough for a Saturn V, it
ought to be good enough for an Europa. I like the idea of ripping the
fuel tank on final, and getting all gas out before "touching" the
landing spot. "ATC, we have a problem..."

Just make sure the switch is sufficiently latched against inadvertent use.

Frans