Re: Europa-List: Relay to act as kill switch

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Relay to act as kill switch
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 00:36:15
Tony=0Ayou must have a large capacitor across the battery to prevent the al
ternator going over voltage=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________
________=0AFrom: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>=0ATo: europa-list@
matronics.com=0ASent: Friday, 18 June, 2010 5:30:49=0ASubject: Europa-List:
enshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>=0A=0AGidday,=0AI am electron averse. They
 take on personalities whenever I interact, and most often I think they are
 female. Suffice to say, they do what they want to, and change their minds!
 So, I'd like to kill them off from my aft mounted battery. I am planning a
 kill switch in the passenger headrest area, but was wondering running a si
ngle Rotax alternator if anyone has advice on whether I could run a "relay"
 that would isolate the large battery voltage with a small charge via a pan
el mounted switch? Rather than a big kill switch like the great one Bob Bor
ger is using from Flaming River=0Ahttp://www.flamingriver.com/index.cfm/pag
e/ptype=product/product_id=64/category_id=133/home_id=231/mode=pr
od/prd64.htm=0Ais there another way of achieving this same goal? I suppose
in the case of a crash it would mean that you would have voltage still comi
ng forward of the relay to the switch, on the panel, but it would be small
and could be choked to be of low amperage? couldn't it? That way a short wo
uld kill a fuse and not create a large spark as a source of ignition. Would
 it be possible then to wire the relay such that when it was isolated, it w
ould also turn off the power forward of it to operate the relay too, so tha
t there would be "NO" power coming forward? I suppose then the switch would
 become useless at turning power back on, so maybe a relay could be used in
 another way? =0AIs there any point in being able to isolate....kill off al
ternator voltage ?? I'm not sure if the Rotax alternator has an inbuilt fun
ction or whether its voltage must be monitored by such a device if included
, prior to the battery. Is this the right idea for setting up the alternato
r circuit? =0AReg=0ATony Renshaw=0AP.S. I apologise if this is covered in t
he manual, however I am away from the book for a few days with work, and am
====