Re: Europa-List: Propeller - Flying in rain

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Propeller - Flying in rain
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 21:18:18
Hi

Flying in rain is a serious problem for un-coated /varnished) pure
wooden blades.
Last summer my friend flied through a heavy rain just few minutes and he
almost lost his blades!
All the blade tips [3] were gone and other parts of the blades were
damaged.

Now he is flying again with same prop. He just cut the damaged blade tip
ends. Now he has a real climbing prop he reported.

Plane: PIK-18 (only one in the world), engine VW, prop is hand made or
factory made, I do not know so far.

Engine revs before rain max 3000, now (with shortened blades) 3300 rpm !

Terveisin, Raimo Toivio

Europa XS Mono OH-XRT #417 +150 hrs

37500 Lemp=E4=E4l=E4
FINLAND