Re: Europa-List: Underseat Fuel System (+cooling issues)

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Underseat Fuel System (+cooling issues)
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 21:13:17

On 06/11/2010 08:09 PM, Raimo Toivio wrote:

> How does it
>> behave in warm weather? Can you fly normally in temperatures of 35
>> degrees?
>
> +35 degrees here is definetely not a common situation in (Great) Finland

Neither here... but I intent to use my airplane to go to places, and I
might find myself on a hot airfield someday. ;-)

> but around 25-30C - no problem - even with a full power and climbing @
> 70 knots.

Ok, sounds good.

> You close your cooling flap. How much faster you are flying after that?

5 knots difference between the flap open (which is about the fixed
position of a standard Europa aircraft) and cruise setting (= almost
closed, flush with the bottom of the fuselage).
You have a wheel to retract, I have a cowl flap to retract. Both save a
few knots. You think it is worth it (otherwise why do you have a mono)
and I think it is worth it (but I prefer to have 3 wheels instead of 4).
Maybe we can do some racing someday. ;-)

> And how long (before you have to open it again)?

I don't need to open it for cruising and landing, but to take some of
the workload away in the event I have to do a go around, opening the
cowl flap is on my downwind checklist. If it fails to open I will just
land without a go around. ;-)

> How many extra grams?

Well, I think it is lighter than the fixed standard cowling of the Europa.

> What about if it will be seized to the closed position?

Then I hate having to use full power.

> BTW what is The Date of The Texel Fly Inn - I do like to meet you (or
> your wife in fact) there! Would be wonderful and a real pleasure there
> to check our planes in EVERY direction you know.

I don't remember the date, but we will be there. And I will remember you
in due time for that! ;-)

Frans