Re: Europa-List: Underseat Fuel System (+cooling issues)

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Underseat Fuel System (+cooling issues)
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 17:20:45

On 06/11/2010 04:39 PM, Raimo Toivio wrote:

> My solution: I have no oil radiator at all!
> In the tunnel there is only the water rad !

That should also be better than the tandem radiator setup. How does it
behave in warm weather? Can you fly normally in temperatures of 35 degrees?

> The cooling system includes also a water thermostat.
> I think it is "The Must" at least when flying during Finnish winter time.

Well, you could achieve the same with a cowl flap I think.

> (OK - I know - some of you are tempted to think a thermostat is a risk.
> Well - please do not install thermostats in that case - just fly!)

The reason I don't like thermostats is that you will still have the
cooling drag, due to dragging air through the radiator, while you
actually don't want to cool anything.
With a cowl flap that closes off the air flow through the radiator, you
can also prevent overcooling, but at the same time you reduce drag.

Frans