RE: Europa-List: Propeller - Flying in rain

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Propeller - Flying in rain
From: Rob Housman <europa@hyperionef.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 09:16:26
I cannot speak from personal experience but having worked for a manufacturer
of leading edge abrasion strips for ten years I can offer a relevant
comment.  In the case of composite propeller blades and rotor blades the
industry (with one notable exception, Robinson) use electroformed nickel on
the leading edge to protect against both rain and solids that would
otherwise damage the leading edge.  Other materials are better for either
rain or solids but nickel is a superior compromise because it protects
against damage from both.

In commercial or military service composite blades require leading edge
protection of some sort and if not nickel then stainless steel (Robinson) is
used.  Obviously our Europas will not be flown regularly in rain but any
flown often from dirt strips should be equipped with leading edge protection
on composite (or wood) blades.

Best regards,

Rob Housman

Irvine, CA