RE: Europa-List: Combustion air inlets

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Combustion air inlets
From: Gary Leinberger <Gary.Leinberger@millersville.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 14:56:00

My understanding is that the Bing carbs on the 912S are not designed for ram air
- on my Europa I am using the 914 FWD kit on a 912S  (I originally planned on
a 914 but the price differences of recent years seems excessive). This has the
advantage of not taking in water during rain or when on the tarmac. The air
box around the NACA inlet is sealed mainly so that only cool air enters the
carbs
- but the air filter box is vented to the carbs so that there is no excess
pressure in the air going to the carbs. The 914 is boosted, but requires
numerous
other gadgets to allow the Bing carbs to function properly with the excessive
pressure.

Gary Leinberger
A237
Lancaster, Pa.