Re: Europa-List: Combustion air inlets

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Combustion air inlets
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 14:08:14

On 06/07/2010 08:56 PM, Gary Leinberger wrote:

> My understanding is that the Bing carbs on the 912S are not designed
> for ram air -

They can handle ram air fine. Just make sure that also the float chamber
vent sees the same pressure. (This means that the whole carb will see
the elevated pressure, the higher pressure due to ram air is then no
different than the higher pressure due to flying at a lower altitude.
The Bing carbs are especially designed to deal with a lot of different
inlet pressures.)

> The 914 is boosted, but requires
> numerous other gadgets to allow the Bing carbs to function properly
> with the excessive pressure.

Not true. The carbs are the same. All the "gadgets" you see on a 914 are
for different reasons, not to make the carbs work correctly. And of
course, the float chamber vents are connected to the airbox, so they see
the higher pressure as well.

If I had a 912, I would try to feed the engine with as much ram air as
possible.

Frans